Friday 9 September 2011

Autumn already?

Golden Plover circle Staple Island

So once again it’s been a wee while since my last update due to…well basically a lack of
subject matter! It’s not that I don’t have much to say (those who know me will know I have too much to say most of the time…), it’s rather there’s not been much to ‘report’ as they say in the birding world.

The story of the past week has one of wind, rain, wind, wind and hmmm lets see…more wind. All I can say is I have been eating lots of beans but I feel the atlantic depressions may be to blame. Anyways the strong winds have rendered our Zodiac ribs useless so we’ve been marooned with each other and just alittle booze.

Action shot of some vegetation agitated by the wind...

Consequently the hangovers/strong westerly winds have meant very few birds have turned up on the Farnes. However as the winds eased over the past day or two, birds have begun to surface. A steady stream of Meadow Pipit accompanied with some Bar-tailed Godwit show stuffs moving while Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Goldcrest, Sedge Warbler and a bumper haul of Wheatear (71 yesterday) show passerine birds might be venturing outside.


Whitethroat - Brownsman

Goldcrests are amazing...especially in the hand!!

And continuing the 'bird in hand' theme...a Turnstone

Beside the terrestrial goings on the days highlight came in the form of juvenile Pom Skau passing close by going north – it was bigger than Ciaran’s face!

Other interest besides birds has been a male Common Darter which is the first for the year:



Anyways I don’t really feel like I’m making much sense so cheerio

No comments:

Post a Comment